03 September, 2008

My first accordion has arrived

So, I got a German piano accordion with Italian reeds sent from England to Finland.

It was my former step-father's father's instrument, which probably dates it to some time in the first half of the 20th century at its youngest. Boy does it look its age righ now. In fact, probably older. My not-quite-grandfather died before I was born, so for at least as long as I lived, this accordion has been stored in attics, under beds, and who knows where else. It's full of dust, but that's the least of the problems.

Here's a few things I have to fix:

  • Replace the leather straps
  • Clean the dust out from behind the grates (yeuch)
  • Reattach/replace the bass reeds, which by the rattling and lack of sound, are loose.
  • Solve the problem of the sticking keys
  • Replace the gauze behind the grates
  • Replace the metal screws and hooks that are missing or rusty
  • Get it tuned
  • See whether the scuffed bellows can be perked up

On the plus side, it is light and the reeds that work are making a nice sound. I'm not sure it is even worth it's postage at the moment, but perhaps. I'm not going to be able to learn much on it.

Now, some pictures (hopefully the 'before' of a 'before and after):

No comments: