16 October, 2008

My 10 Favourite Finnish Words

Before I came to Finland, people would ask me why I want to learn Finnish. Here are ten reasons why:

1. Kuunsilta

This one means 'moon's bridge' and describes the reflection of the moon on water.

The Melody pronunciation guide: coo-n : sill : ta!

2. Hävytöntä!

This expression can be translated as 'Shameful!' The key to the beauty of this word is in the ä and ö sounds; the sounds that you pronounce low in the throat and simply can't find in English are used to great effect in words denoting unfavourable actions or feelings. In this case, the very pronunciation of this word forces you to sound like a prudish old lady.

The Melody pronunciation guide: have : euur : duh!-n : tah!

3. Valitettavasti

Many adverbs have the -sti ending in Finnish and it improves them all, but this is my favourite. It means 'unfortunately' and it has a wonderful snappy staccato rhtyhm.

The Melody pronunciation guide: Val : E : tête : tah! : vasz : tea

4. Taivaanranta

This word isn't as fun to say as some of the others on this list, but what's nice is the direct translation. It means horizon, but actually says 'beach of the sky' or 'sky's shore'. She saw stars shine on the sky's shore.

The Melody pronunciation guide: tie : vahn : ran : ta!

5. Höpöhöpö!

This is 'nonsense'.

The Melody pronunciation guide: huur : puur : huur : puur

6. Krapula

It's such a distinctive way of describing a hangover, and couldn't be more true. You're in a place of krap indeed.

The Melody pronunciation guide: Crap : ooh : lah!

7. yrjö

Staying on the drunken theme, here is the word for throwing up. I believe it became the word for throwing up, because it is pretty much the sound you make when you try to say it. Give it a go.

The Melody pronunciation guide: euih-rr : yeuhh

8. Suhista

This is a lovely word for describing a rustling sound or the sighing of the wind.

The Melody pronunciation guide: Sue : hiss : ta!

9. Mielenkiintoinen

This means 'interesting'. I can just hear Montgomery Burns saying this; it's got far more of the long, drawn out vowels that make the word so... iiiinteresting.

The Melody pronunciation guide: me : L : N : keen : toy : nen

10. Britti-poppi

Okay, so it's a loan word at best and modern slang at worst, but this word contains the best thing about English to Finnish loan words. They turn 'Brit pop' into 'britty poppy'. How cute!

No pronunciation guide needed here. Just tie your hair in bunches and repeat after me: Britty poppy, Britty poppy, Britty poppy!


DISCLAIMER: I hold no liability whatsoever for the Melody pronunciation guide, the Finnish language, or indeed my interpretation of it. In fact, I won't even claim that the guide is usuable even if you know to pronounce the words with a 'BBC English (southern)' accent plus rolled r's. I take no responsibility for the emotional trauma that may occur in the event that Finns, or any other nation's people, laugh themselves silly at your earnest attempts to communicate and it's certainly none of my business if you injure yourself trying to pronounce the letters ö y and ä.


Melody.

4 comments:

Tiia said...

Crap-ooh-lah :DDD I lol'd. and I'm at work, so not too good ;)

spell yrjö with a capital Y and you get Yrjö, the Finnish equivalent for the name George. It's an old fahsioned name though, think most Yrjös are in their fifties or above.

Kat Mortensen said...

Thank you for the lesson. I like the sound of it, just not sure I could remember it. Are you completely fluent?

Kat

MJ said...

Hi Kat.

I'm not completely fluent yet. I've been studying for about three years, and can manage basic concersation and read say 50% of written comunication on average.

I'm taking lessons twice a week after work for the forseeable future.

C said...

I really like the word "morkis", which is the Swedish speaking Finn word for a moral krapula :D
Funny list!